On 2nd November 1831, Mr Thomas Nock, then licensee of The Cross Keys, High Street, Bridgnorth erected a poster announcing that he … “respectfully informs his Friends and the Public generally, that he has commenced as Auctioneer and Appraiser and that all Sales confided to his care shall meet with prompt and undivided attention combined with moderate charges…”. The firm continued through the 19th Century under various partnerships including members of the Nock family and others, until the last family member in the business, Mr Edwin Nock died in 1894.
The first member of the Deighton family, Mr Chas. Herbert (Bertie) Deighton joined the firm in 1885 becoming a partner four years later. His son Mr Denis (Milner) Deighton joined him in business in 1920 and trading as Nock, Deighton & Son the firm continued very successfully as a leading firm of agricultural auctioneers, acquiring the old Bridgnorth Smithfield market from the Apley Estate in 1951 and redeveloping this into one of the top markets in the country by the late 1950’s. Mr David Deighton (son of Milner Deighton) joined the firm as an auctioneer in 1957, becoming Senior Partner after his father’s death in 1966 and continuing in the role until his retirement in 1986.
The business was then acquired from David Deighton by one of his partners Mr Robin Nettleton, who had joined the firm as an articled clerk in 1960, becoming a partner in 1972 and remaining as the head of the firm.